Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Mom's Mississippi Mud Cake


My mom used to make the most delicious Mississippi Mud Cake when I was a little girl and we'd always have it at Sunday after church dinners!  I have very fond memories of this cake, of licking the beaters (mom turned off the mixer first!) and of how everyone always wanted a piece of this cake!  It's super rich, a little goes a long, long way.

Mississippi Mud Cake.  Hello chocolate-y goodness.  

It's still one of my faves although I don't make it often and I hardly ever remember to get a pic of it! (Update:  I got a pic!  Yeah!)  I'll remedy that when I make it for my next church gathering!   

Here are the ingredients:
2 sticks of butter
½ cup Hershey’s baking cocoa
4 eggs, room temperature
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cups pecans or walnuts, chopped, divided in half
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt
1 bag of miniature marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350°F.  In a small saucepan mix butter and cocoa, heat until butter is melted.  In a mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly.  Add sugar, flour, vanilla, salt and cocoa mixture.  Mix well.  Add ½ pecans.  Pour into a well-greased 9x13 pan and bake for 35 minutes.    

Five to ten minutes before the cake is done, make the frosting.  For it, you’ll need:
½ cup milk (I use whole, but 1% or 2% will do)
1/3 cup Hershey’s baking cocoa
½ stick butter
16 oz. powdered sugar

Mix milk, cocoa and butter together in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil, stirring well.  Remove from heat, mix in powdered sugar. Whisk to blend well.

Once the cake is done, pour marshmallows over the top, sprinkle with remaining pecans.  Immediately pour the frosting over top of this.

If you can wait, allow this to cool, then enjoy! Many thanks to my precious Mom who had to dig out this recipe since she hasn't made it in a while!  
Print Friendly and PDF