Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Doritos Chicken Casserole

Let me start by saying that before last night I'd never had this wonderful concoction.  It was a blast from my hubby's past that came about when we passed the chips aisle at the grocery last Sunday.
Doritos Chicken Casserole
He was reminiscing about dishes his mom used to make when he mentioned this. I whipped out my handy smart phone and looked up a recipe and found that there were many versions to choose from.  So, questioning him, I made one as close to what he could remember from his childhood.


So easy to put together!
I might've gotten ahead of myself in taking pics because I was starving when I got home from work last night.  Here's what you'll need:

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a baking dish with baking spray.  This makes a 9x13x2 dish.

3 1/2-4 cups chopped chicken (I used a rotisserie that I shredded)
2 cups cheddar cheese (or your favorite!)
2 small cans or one large can cream chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
2 cups corn OR tomatoes with green chiles, drained
13.5 oz. bag Doritos chips, crushed and divided

So, now the fun begins.  In my top picture, you'll notice the corn is on the side instead of in the dish.  That's because I forgot to add it to the mixture!  I told you I was in a hurry!!

Yummy!


After spraying your dish, put half of the crushed chips in the bottom.

Crushed Doritos
Now, mix together your cream of chicken soup, sour cream, choice of veggies and 1/2 of the cheese.  Drop by spoonful on chips and spread evenly.  I sprinkled a little more cheese.

You can never get too much cheese, right?
Now, top the mixture with the remaining chips and cheese.

See, never too much cheese!
I ran out of cheddar because I put it in the middle.  Oops.

Cover pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes.

OH MY WORD!

Okay, before I get yelled at, this is not health food!  You can have it in moderation OR you can do what I did!  Use low(er) fat items.  I substituted a 97% fat free cream of chicken soup for the regular version.  A big save.  I also used lower fat sour cream.  It tasted great and worked out just fine!

I'm not sure about low fat cheese.  It might work.  The chips?  Is there a lower fat version?  Yes!  I just researched and found that Doritos offers a "Lite" chip!  I'm not a chip person and was surprised that I liked this.

Chicken?  Like I stated above, I used a rotisserie chicken from the deli of the local grocery store.  I removed the skin and bones and chopped up dark and light meat together.  You can use all chicken breast or all dark meat.

The dish is so versatile that some added extra garlic or onions to the mix.  I didn't.  I didn't add salt or pepper or any spices. I figured that between the sodium of the chips and the condensed soup that we wouldn't need any!  And for my taste, I was right.

Since I forgot to put the corn in mine, I served it on the side with biscuits.  It's really rich so you don't need a lot, but it served its purpose.

So tell me, have you made this before?  Going to make it soon?  Feedback, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF