Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Aloha Stir-fry

This lovely concoction can become a family favorite in a heartbeat!  I'm working on lowering the sugar and fat levels in it but still keeping the taste!  Give it a try and tell me how much you enjoy it!


This is my "healthy" version of a stir-fry in that the rice isn't actually fried.  It's cooked and tossed with the fried stuff!  

For this recipe, you'll need:

3 cups brown rice, cooked
2 cups diced ham
1 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 c sautéed onions
1/4 c green bell pepper, minced & sautéed
1 tsp fish sauce or soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup sautéed mushrooms
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons butter


Dice onion, green bell pepper and mushrooms.  Saute in two tablespoons of butter. Add garlic powder, brown sugar and fish sauce (or soy if this isn't available).  

Isn't this a beautiful ham?  Well, I guess if ham could be beautiful!  



To get started, cut this big beauty into chunks.  Toss it in with the veggies and heat thoroughly...it's pre-cooked!  


While all of this is going on, cook your rice.  I sent hubby after the rice because I thought I had it in the pantry but found only white rice.  He bought the quick cook kind which I'd never used but I think I like it!  It called for three cups of rice to 2 3/4 cups of liquid.  I used all of the juice from the pineapples plus water to cook the rice in.  Bring liquid to a boil, toss in rice, stir.  Cook for five minutes, turn off heat and place a lid on it; allow it to sit for five minutes, fluff. That easy!

Once your veggies, fruit and ham mixture are well heated, remove rice and toss together.  Serve immediately.  

I had my brother-in-law over for dinner last night and he called this a smash hit.  As if!  :)  

NOTE:  So easy to make less! Just cut your ingredients by your desired amount.  Cook times are still the same!



Print Friendly and PDF