Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Gingered Garlic Chicken

This lovely gem is a blast from the past.  I'd had a bad day, cleaned out the fridge and freezer, left two whole fryers in the sink, they thawed. :(  then I locked myself out of the house (yeah, it was one of those kinds of days!) so I had to cook them!  I placed one in a slow cooker with only salt and pepper to season and let it cook away.  Turned out to be pretty tasty!  The second one, well, I got all fancy on it!  

Here's what you'll need:

Whole fryer, thawed
1 large clove of garlic (I use elephant garlic)
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 piece candied ginger, chopped
2 Tbs. Sriracha chili sauce
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. Hoisin sauce
2 cups ginger ale
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste

In a slow cooker, place whole fryer.  Baste it with a mixture of fish sauce, Hoisin, soy, Sriracha and ginger ale, pouring the remaining sauce over top of the chicken.  Add garlic, onion, ginger and bay leaf.  Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until browned and cooked through.

I allowed mine to cool considerably before taking it off of the bone.  

PAIRS WELL WITH:  

  • Green beans with almonds & mashed potatoes
  • on a lovely bed of salad greens
  • in a stir-fry
  • on a nice challah bun
  • with roasted fall veggies



Print Friendly and PDF