Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies

I love these.  I'm not kidding.  Like I'd marry them if I weren't already married and one could marry an inanimate object kind of love!  Okay, maybe not that far, but they're yummy and oh so rich!  Eating more than one is a problem for me-unless you have a glass of cold milk with it!

I haven't figured out how to lower the sugar in them by much, but can I just say that they're loaded with yummy, protein-laden peanut butter, fiber-filled oats, milk...that's kinda healthy, right?  Ha ha!  Who am I kidding?!  Enjoy in moderation.  Please.

Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies

I've only shared this recipe a few times.  I had a recipe that my sister used and her no bakes always turned out just right.  Kind of soft, but firm, oats were chewy but not crunchy and it had just the right blend of flavors. You know the kind that you cook for just a minute?  I tried and tried and tried to get this recipe to work for me and it never did! So, I did what any smart woman does and I created my own!

Can you see the pockets of layered goodness?

I love making fudge for gifts, holidays, etc. and when I created a fudge recipe that worked, I just pulled the base items and cooking times in for this recipe.  The result is a mostly-firm, chewy cookie, melts in your mouth, is delicious and a little secret...if it gets too firm for you, you can pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and voila!  Good as new!

I tend to make mine in bar form since they're headed out the door, but you can drop them onto wax paper or a silpat just the same!

You'll need:

Large, heavy bottomed pot
9x13x2 baking dish, buttered/sprayed/greased
Timer
Spatula
1 1/2-2  cups creamy peanut butter
3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups milk
1 3/4-2 cups quick cook oats
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp. salt

In a large, heavy bottomed pot and on medium-low heat, place milk and butter and melt.  Do not allow this to boil.  Once the butter has melted, add sugar and stir.  Once the sugar has dissolved, add salt and bring temperature up to medium heat and watch for a boil.  Once the mixture comes to a rolling boil, set your timer for 1:42.  Yes, you're reading it right.  One minute, forty-two seconds. Stir the mixture the whole time it boils to keep the sugar from scorching.  You don't want to burn this and have to start over.  There's no fun in that.


This is hubby's favorite part!

As soon as the timer goes off, remove mixture from pan and add vanilla.  Fair warning!  Most vanilla extract has some alcohol content in it and it may create a chemical reaction when hitting the boiling mixture.  Stir the vanilla in and add your oats.  Why?  You want them to get a minute or so to "cook" so that they're not quite done but not crunchy, either.  Add two cups if you want super thick cookies.  1 3/4 if you want them softer and less thick.

Stir them well and start by adding a cup of peanut butter.  If the mixture sticks to the spoon in clumps, don't add more peanut butter.  If it's thin, add the additional amount.  Mix well and either pour into a greased/buttered/baking sprayed 9x13x2 pan and if you can resist them, allow them to cool.  OR, you can drop them by spoonful onto wax paper or silpats and have actual cookies.

This particular pan came out rather firm!

They don't normally make it that far in my house.  I have to hide them just to get them to the cooling stage.

NOTE:

  • You can use natural peanut butter in this.  Or crunchy!  The natural peanut butter has more oil and you'll get a really smooth texture from it.  It's yummy!  It's usually less sweet so you'll get a savory cookie!
  • Butter:  do not substitute margarine for butter!  It has a high water content that changes the recipe.  Not good!
  • Milk:  I use whole milk.  I've used evaporated, 1%, 2% without any issues.  Low-fat evaporated doesn't do so well.
  • Vanilla:  I make my own vanilla.  Yes, I'll share the recipe.  Not today.  Mine is made with a bourbon base and may have something to do with the texture of my cookies being a little different than those of someone who'd use a traditional vanilla extract.  It's okay.  They're good, no matter how you slice them!
  • Oats:  use quick cook!  The whole oats take a long time to cook and don't work in this recipe!  If you like a really thick, almost brittle cookie, you can add another cup of oats and cut back on the peanut butter to 3/4 cup.  It's a much lighter flavored cookie and definitely crunchier than the original recipe!
  • Want chocolate peanut butter no bakes?  Add 1/4 cup Hershey's (or your favorite brand) cocoa powder to the sugar and add to butter/milk mixture as noted.  
Tell me what you think!  How'd your recipe turn out?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF